Built in 1940, St. Thomas the Apostle Chapel in Springfield is the only chapel still served by the pastor of Saint Margaret today.
Church law defines a parish as a community of Christ’s faithful that has been established in a stable manner within a particular church, the pastoral care of which has been entrusted to a parish priest under the authority of a diocesan bishop.
The eastern half of Livingston civil parish – a portion of the people of God in the Diocese of Baton Rouge – is one of these communities entrusted to the patronage of St. Margaret, Queen of Scotland. Within its territories is the Parish Church of St. Margaret – the principal worship site for the people of this area.
Historically, though, a secondary site for worship, or chapel, was established to ease the commute of the people of the region to the main church since territorially St. Margaret’s boundaries are large, extending north to the Livingston/St. Helena Parish Border, west past Holden toward Livingston, east along the Natalbany River, and south toward Lake Maurepas! Aside from St. Thomas, three other chapels were at one time found within St. Margaret’s boundaries (Immaculate Conception in Denham Springs, Sacred Heart in Livingston, and St. Mary in Bear Island).